Melatonin Dosage and UsageIvan Bare
Melatonin Dosage and Usage
In USA melatonin supplements are typically sold in doses of 1, 3, 5 and even 10 mg, while in most EU countries is, as food supplement, limited to 1 mg. The right amount depends on your individual situation and how your body processes the supplement. If you are considering taking a melatonin supplement to help with your occasional sleeplessness, one of your first questions is probably “How much should I take?”
How to Find the Right Amount
If you aren’t sure how much melatonin to take, it is recommended to start with a smaller dose like the 1mg, rather than starting with the max. Although melatonin is safe in doses up to 10mg per day, more is not necessarily better.
Starting with a smaller dose will allow you to see how your body reacts and gauge if your body needs more or less melatonin. You can gradually increase or decrease your dosage until you find the right amount, but do not exceed the maximum recommended dosage.
The chart below can help you determine when to take melatonin and how to identify your body’s reaction to help find the right dosage for you.
When to Consider Taking Melatonin
- You have occasional sleeplessness, defined as occasionally having trouble falling asleep and/or staying asleep
- You have a shift in sleep schedule of 1 hour or more
- You are experiencing jet lag
When to Increase Your Dose
- You are still having trouble falling asleep within 20-30 minutes
- You are still having trouble staying asleep; waking up briefly, e.g. to go to the bathroom, is ok but you should be able to fall back asleep quickly
When to Decrease Your Dose
- You feel groggy the next morning, after getting a full night’s sleep
- You are experiencing vivid dreams
- You are experiencing headaches
Stop Counting Sheep
When it comes to sleep, everyone has their own schedule. What works for one person may not work for another. But finding the right dosage of melatonin can help you make sure you get the quality sleep that is so critical to your health – and not waste precious time exercising your math skills counting sheep.